5.07.2009

He's a half.

He's a halfer. He's mixed Philippino and African i believe...? I don't know this kid, but i met him at the airport. As i was heading to the terminal, i noticed this little boy just... staring out at the fishy... ( on the right... ) It suddenly occurred to me that both his parents were from different races. Being from different races didn't matter, it just made me think... The little boy was just... staring out, and maybe he was thinking too!.... This somehow lead me to think of judgements. I remember when we were still in elementary school, and teachers would teach us not to be racist. They would always teach us to treat each other equally, and be fair, but the principal herself wasn't anything close to a good example. I was in a bilingual school, and instead of having the name of ____language____ bilingual class, we had the name of _insert_language_here_ class. It was always our class, and the " white class". I never understood why it was like that, because i always thought that it was normal, it was right to be called like that. Until i got older, i realized that the principal was racial. This got me thinking. What do you present yourself as to people? I was talking to an elementary friend that i was schooling with, and i was showing her this blog... then as i was explaining why i didn't show my close friends, i realized something. I was afraid of being judged. At first i thought that maybe i just didnt' want people to know that i was talented in photography... but i do want people to know! It's the sterotypes? I was thinking... waht would i be labeled? artist? musician? geek? nerd? waht would i be labeled...? Then i thought again. Why would this matter? After going through my pictures, i decided to use this picture to express how i'm feeling right now. The little boy knows nothing about races, stereotypes, and judgements. He's just being who he is, young and carefree... He doesn't care how he looks like, or rather, he doesn't know to care... I was once asked as to why i would be nervous before a concert... i answered " because i don't want to screwup. " Her reply was " why don't you want to screwup? does it matter? " I didn't hesistate, and i told her " yea it matters, i don't want people to think that i suck " or something along those lines...My teacher told me that if i knew my stuff, and could do it backwards or blindfolded, i probably wouldn't be nervous at all. She also mentioned that i was afraid of judgement. Isn't everyone? We always want to show people our positive side, our good side, the side that everyone will " like ". Why do we want people to like us anyways? I kinda think that if you're being yourself, people are bound to like you. :) Obviously, there is no guarantee that if you be yourself, people will like you...but i truely believe that everyone has friends, it's just if you've found them or not. At times, it may seem like you've found your " bestest " friends, but even your " bestest " friends will let you down. They'll let you down, because they're only human. Humans can be selfish, greedy, grudge-holding ( is that a word? O_o ) forgiving, forgettful, or anything... anything is possible. ANYWAYS, but i think that because we're human, we all have the one moment where we just want things good for ourselves? We want to benefit from wahtever we're doing. - I guess this could be part of selfishness too, but .... sometimes it's not..? I don't know.... but " be who you are and say waht you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Suess.... I love this quote. I don't know how many times i've read it before, but i find it very true. :) - hearrts. 1:06am.

No comments: